Saturday, July 23, 2011

Potato Harvest

From what I read, potatoes are ready to harvest when the stalks fall over and die. So the time came for my tiny garden to harvest the potatoes. The stalks grew to be about 3 feet in height. The fell over fast so I didn't get a good picture of them all standing up. Here is what is looks like while laying down:



So I dug them up and found nothing! I was so bummed! Well, that's not true- I found another 5 pennies, a button, some glass from a car, and a soda can top.


I tried to loosen the dirt as much as possible before I planted but I probably didn't do good enough. The roots only grew out and not down.


My zucchini only has to sprouts left and both were dying. I wanted to transplant them to two clay pots on the fence so they get more sun. I tried to dig up one and a bunch of ants came out and the sprout looked like it had no roots left so thats why it was dying. The second and biggest sprout looked okay and I was able to move it. but now it looks like its dying too.

The one thing that is working is my tomato topsy turvy. I had to replace it once and it broke in half about a week after that. This is what it looks like now:

There are a few buds on it and we might actually get tomatoes! I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment