Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Garden a month in.

A lot has changed in my tiny garden!!
It has suffered through an army of angry attack snails, two toddler with sticks that poke at it, and sometimes my small shovel, a frost in APRIL, and a crazy windy day!
Rosemary never bloomed, daisies and carrots disappeared, daffodils never recovered, and my tomato snapped right of with the wind.
So what am I left with?
15 potatoes plants! 9 zucchini sprouts! a watermelon showing up almost TWO MONTHS after it was planted, a holey jalapeno, a new batch of carrot sprouts, and a strawberry topsy turvey who keeps losing leaves left and right!

I bought a cantaloupe plant to take the place of my watermelon seeds that never sprouted and it died right away! When we came home from a weekend away a watermelon popped up right next to the dead cantaloupe so I guess its a good thing it didn't last.
Yesterday I was noticing in my garden what gets sun and what doesn't throughout the whole day and my potatoes only get sun through the cracks of my fence. This is good because the bag says to protect it from heat and make sure they stay cool.
I finally determined the daffodils to be dead and took them out and spaced my zucchinis out a little. While poking around i discovered ANOTHER zucchini sprouting- holy cow! Anyone want a zucchini plant?? If not I am going to have to make a HUGE batch of zucchini bread!!

So what do I do with the bulbs from the daffodils? Can I save them for next year? Do I dry them out?

No comments:

Post a Comment