Monday, March 8, 2010

visiting my parents in Maryland!

For the last 3 weeks I have been visiting my parents in Southern Maryland. I'm going home in a week and am really excited to have Adam help me with the night shifts again! I couldn't stay just a week in Maryland because I needed someone to help me on the plane. Legally you can't fly with more than one baby in a row because there are only 4 oxygen masks per row. So my Dad flew out Wednesday and flew back Thursday. My sister Danielle is flying out this week and will go home next Monday and we will travel together.
My dad reserved a "full size" rental car for the day but when he got there they gave him a Nissan Cube. What a joke of a car!! We had to shove two huge suitcases our 3 carry-ons, a twin stroller, the two car seats, and us. It was a serious puzzle!
We got to the airport with less than an hour before our flight took of and when we weighed our suitcases I was over 4 pounds and my dad was over 9. Let me explain why: When my dad comes to California he has to make a bunch of crazy errands and buy stupid things. In my Dad's suitcase he had Berry plants, a 14 pound tri tip, oranges, jalepenos, and Ghirardelli chocolates from the factory in Tracy. He might have had other things too. Anyways, we had to do a crazy shuffle of taking things out and putting in our carry-ons and run through security where they had to handcheck our stroller, then run to our gate where they were already done with pre-boarding. But the nice people in line let us cut to the front so we could get on before them because we had a bunch of stuff!
So once on the plane and everyone had boarded but they hadn't closed the doors yet, no one had sat in my dad's row besides him! I was so excited that I could sit next to him and lay the babies in the middle seat. Every time someone late got on the plane my heart dropped thinking they were going to sit in his row. So when they finally shut the doors I could have shouted!
The babies slept wonderfully on the flight! We actually had to wake Bradley once we had gotten to our gate.

I buckled them into the seat so they wouldn't fall off while we slept too. I love their swaddlers or AKA "baby straight jackets". It makes them sleep so much better!
So once in Maryland there was snow EVERYWHERE! It was so awesome! But the snow has melted and is all gone :( and the last two snows melted as it hit the ground so no sledding down my dad's steep driveway!
Adam has been going crazy without the babies and we try to skype everyday so he can see them. Poor Kiersten tries to jump in the computer everytime she sees Adam. While I have been gone, you might have noticed at church if your in our ward, Adam has grown a beard- he hasn't shaved in almost a full month. I wish I had a picture to post because it just keeps getting funnier as time goes on.
If you read my last blog you know about me trying to feed them solids. I finally gave up because it was so difficult with Bradley and I thought Kiersten didn't know what to do. What they really needed was their grandma Kelly!


Kelly fed Bradley carrots one of the first nights here and he LOVED them! Kelly thought it was hysterical- I kept calling Bradley a faker. We tried Kiersten the next day and she went crazy over it!! She loves it more than Bradley does. Her acid reflux got worse when I gave her carrots but when I switched her to sweet potatoes all her problems went away. When I feed her she reminds me of a baby bird. Every time the spoon comes near she opens her mouth as wide as she can and when I give that spoon to bradley she gets upset. Once while feeding them sitting together she leaned over in front of him trying to steal his food. When I gave him his bottle for him to feed himself she whacked it out of his hands. When I gave it back to him she knocked it out again. When I feed Bradley he tries to grab the each spoonful with both hands making it extremely messy!

She has been loving food so much I have been trying to feed her as much as possible to pack on some much needed pounds!
Another milestone the babies have reached is they are now starting to sit up on their own. They can't do it very long before they topple over and Bradley can do it longer than Kiersten. We've been having them practice sitting when they play with their cousin Kyla who is 10 months.


1 comment:

  1. Fun! sounds like you had a good time. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete